Monday, October 15, 2007

Outdoor Texas is dangerous

So, as a warning to everyone, this is an Asp Caterpiller or Pus Moth Caterpillar (Megalopyge opercularis) - one of the most toxic caterpillars in North America. You can read about them here. You can read about people's encounters with them here. I only got a minor sting, but it hurt like a severe burn. And the pain is still there - it's been five hours since I was stung. Luckily, I only got a minor sting cause the caterpillar just sat in the palm of my hand. If I had stepped on one, or grabbed it, I probably would've needed a stronger pain killer. The other weird thing is I felt the venom in my lymph nodes - pain in the armpit. Needless to say, because of my previous encounters with stinging insects I became really worried that I might need to go the the hospital, but fortunately my throat didn't swell shut. The sting just really hurts, and the benadryl I took completely knocked me out. It's scary going outdoors in Texas.

No comments: